Monday, August 29, 2016

Cast Out and Spat Upon

Boy Mom, I'm quite disappointed that after a short time of being gone you can't even recognize my terribly proper and grammatically-correct writing style. Yeah we were a bit rushed last week, so I forgot to mention that I unfortunately have not yet obtained the birthday package. You gotta be careful though Mom, you don't want to get addicted to those computer games of yours. Familysearch, indexing and whatnot. Yeah Lisa, often I think about how similar Germans and Americans are, but other times I wonder when I see some of their weird cultural things. That's funny with the Jenkins kids, I think the distraction tactic works with more than just kids though. There are times out here where I feel kind of mopey and upset and then one little thing can happen to change my attitude and make me wonder why I was annoyed in the first place. In terms of learning Turkish, it's going pretty slow. Since our only Turkish-speaking investigator speaks better German than Turkish, it's hard to work up the motivation to crack down on Turkish rather than just working on my German, so I probably need to repent. Yeah Andy, I'm not really seeing the resemblance between you and Elder Johnson either. Based on those pictures you sent me, someone is looking a little bit scrawny. Hope you'll be ready to be taken down by your younger bro. I'm sorry Joey, but I don't think you've made it to the point that you can call yourselves "The Larsens." If I ever figure out what on earth Straussenfartens are, I'll be sure to avoid them. That Tracy Hall Science Center sounds pretty legit Dad.

It's funny how a mission changes your perspective on so many things. For example, normally I wouldn't have been very excited to take up my entire Saturday helping someone move. On a mission however, there's nothing I'd rather do than spend 8 hours straight carrying furniture. Even better was that the member we helped invited one of his co-workers to also come help, who just happened to be Turkish. Elder Johnson was able to talk with him and unfortunately he didn't end up having any interest, but hey it's the thought that counts.

On Monday we were able to go to Hannover to visit Brother Erdogan, the only Turkish member in the Stake. We didn't have a whole lot of time, but we got to know him and will hopefully be able to meet with him more in the near future, he seems like a pretty awesome guy.

All but one of our appointments for this week ended up falling out, so we had quite a bit of time to do street contacting. The Lord times things pretty well; I just happened to be reading in Alma 26, where Ammon says that they taught people in their houses and on their streets and were cast out, spat upon, stoned and bound with cords. I can't yet relate to being stoned or bound with cords, but everything else sounded pretty familiar. With their initial lack of success and their bounty of afflictions, it may have been easy for the sons of Mosiah to lose hope, yet they trusted in the Lord's promises and ended up fulfilling one of the most successful missions in history. Though I'm not sure that we'll be able to bring as many thousands of Germans/Turks to repentance as Ammon and Aaron did, I do know that in one form or another the Lord will bless us with success when we are faithful and diligent in doing what we have been called to do.

Life is wunderbar, have a jolly old week!

Elder Larsen  

No comments:

Post a Comment