Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Dingo Babies (for lack of a better title)

Yes Mom, and before you start getting the wrong ideas I'm fairly certain that Brother Wolfert meant that I was a humble, as opposed to humbling, missionary. Though I think both are fairly accurate. I'm happy to say that I've yet to have a fellow member be flat-out rude to me and while I can't say the same for non-members, I imagine such remarks would be a lot more stinging when coming from those who are supposed to be your greatest teammates as a missionary. Also, any news on the letter mix-up? I'm glad you're managing to survive, Wouard. Sounds like quite the dangerous life having three little girls around. Gotta admit I'm pretty jealous. Germans don't typically believe in such delicous desserts like peanut butter bars. They're more into the boring stuff, life fruit-based desserts. Quite the tough life. What Lisa, you didn't even take a selfie with your German food? On Friday we're giving a 20 minute lesson about baptism. I'll let you know if that also feels like 5 minutes, tehee. Don't worry Andy, there are more precious sorts of gems out there for you to find. Good luck with the Old Testament, my half-hearted attempts to read it haven't gotten me too far. Joey, there are so many myths about missionary work, I'm glad to put this one to rest. I think if we were to not spend half our day knocking doors and stopping people on the street, we wouldn't have much to do other than scratch our bum bums and get fat off of eating appointments with members. Yeah Dad, bike areas definitely help with keeping in shape. I'm afraid I've started to go back down in terms of weight, I never quite made it to 150 pounds. Quite the shame.

 Another solid week in the happening world of Stadthagen. Of course for the most exciting part I just happened to be on exchanges in Bielefeld. Elders Barboza and Fritz had an appointment with our investigator Frau Heumann, and at last she accepted a baptismal date! And aside from the fact that she needs to work on her church attendance, she's pretty well prepared for it. Coffee had been a problem, but as it turns out (I was also quite shocked, but it came to us from the mouth of the Mission President himself) you're allowed to be baptized if you drink de-caffeinated coffee. Or maybe that isn't all that weird...no clue. In terms of church attendance she always has "good" excuses when she doesn't make it, but excuses are still excuses. But either way, it's been awesome to see her make progress. At first she didn't understand the Book of Mormon all that well, but now when we meet with her she explains stuff (for example the fall) better than I could have explained it after 10 years of being baptized.

We also had a pretty cool appointment with another investigator, Martin. He had come to our showing of Meet the Mormons and had talked for a good 15 or so minutes with the Bishop. They both live in Hameln (southern city in our area) and so arranged a little dinner appointment with each other to be had at the Bishop's house. So on Friday we met Martin and his wife Anja at their apartment and rode with them to Bishop Schwing's. It was the first time we had been able to really talk to Anja; at the beginning she had been totally against Martin meeting with us. Her friends had told her the classic "mormons have more than one wife" line, and naturally the concept of her husband having more than one wife wasn't terribly appealing to her. But after being able to actually meet not only missionaries, but also normal members, she opened up a lot and seems to have just as much interest as Martin. Unfortunately we didn't have much time (it takes like an hour and a half to get to Stadthagen from Hameln) and were only able to give a condensed version of the restoration. Short, but also sweet. I'm excited with the direction things are going with them.

This week I felt like I was (for probably the 102nd time) reminded of the importance of hope. "If you have not faith, hope, and charity, you can do nothing." That being the case it only makes sense that those are the things that Satan would focus his attacks on. And if he can diminish hope, then by definition faith will also decrease. And without faith on Jesus Christ, I imagine it's somewhat harder to be filled with His love. In other words, we gotta have hope. Hope for the world, hope for others, and perhaps most importantly, hope for ourselves. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that, based on my experience, there will be times that Satan will attack our hope. He will tell us that things will not and can not get better. He will smother us with lies and temptations in order to blind us from the fact that we are beloved children of God with infinite potential, who have every reason to hope for improvement.

So don't let that old liar get to you :). Have an awesome week!


Elder Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment