Monday, November 2, 2015

Life in Deutschland

So in answer to your questions about my motion sickness, as I stepped outside the car on my first finding attempt, I lost the small amount of chili I had had for lunch. All in all, Tuesday and Wednesday weren't the most enjoyable days ever. I suppose it only made sense that if I was already feeling sick after the train, 12 hours in an airplane probably wouldn't go so well. My search for some sort of medication was in vain, they only had pills for children at the airport, but I was certainly blessed in that each time I misplaced a meal, it was in a toilet, a bag or on the floor (as opposed to someone's lap or something).

Aber jetzt, es geht mir gut! (But now, I'm doing fine!) I made it here safe and sound, and after spending a couple days with President Fingerle and my old district by the Freiberg Temple (which unfortunately is under construction), I was shipped off to the Berlin zone. Our district is in a city called Neukölln. The apartment is nice, and just a short walk away there's a nice booze joint, so if we ever need a few cold ones, we know where to go. My trainer is Elder Anderson, who has actually been here for only 12 weeks (so he literally just finished his own training), but he has a pretty solid grip on everything. He's also the district leader. He's a pretty impressive dude.

Unfortunately people aren't exactly lining up to get baptized, but we have a decent amount of people to work with though (and some of them speak english!). Not surprisingly, the Africans are a whole lot more open to the message. Before getting here I thought I understood what Elder Holland meant when he said that on a mission your first convert has to be yourself, but it's taken on more meaning than I ever would have expected. There is quite the difference between here and Provo, and needless to say, one's faith is tested when he's no longer in a place where everyone you meet is mormon. But the Gospel is just as true and important here as it is in Provo. If I just give it my best, God will add to my efforts.

The members here are great and should be a huge help to us (as long as we try to take advantage of it). I'm slowly getting a grip on the language. Typically I can understand a fair amount of what people say, but it wears my brain out enough that I don't typically say much in response. And then there are times where I have no idea what someone is saying and just kind of nod my head. I've gotten a few weird looks in those situations. It's easy to get a little discouraged, but then I remember that I've been at work for like 3 and a half days (even though it feels like a lot longer than that).

All in all, life is good and it's only getting better. I actually haven't had a single bratwurst yet. Döners are pretty big here, they're like wraps at the MTC except toasted and filled with fresh, delicious meat. You hear more English music here than German, and some clothing has english stuff written on it. I was interested to see a little girl with a shirt that had like a full sentence of english written on it, that I'm sure neither she nor her friends could read.

I'm excited to be part of this work and have the opportunity each day to bring others (and myself) closer to Christ.

Con much Liebe,

-Elder Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment