Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Ich Bin Soooooo Begeistert

Herrrooo,
 
It's crazy how every day brings new opportunities and new challenges here. I am finally getting used to the schedule here, so the only really difficult thing here now is teaching investigators. Also we can't play ultimate frisbee...which seems like some kind of sick joke. You can toss a frisbee around, you can play soccer and basketball, but you can't play ultimate frisbee. So traurig. Yesterday I had the most miraculous experience that I've had so far in the MTC. So we were planning our fourth lesson for our "investigator" Carola, and our first three lessons with her were basically just us teaching some basic doctrine about prayer, the Holy Ghost, the Book of Mormon or Jesus Christ, and bearing simple testimony. This lesson, however, we were going to teach her about the great apostasy, the Restoration/Joseph Smith, more about Christ's ministry and at the end invite her to be baptized for the first time, all in German of course. To help prepare we did a roleplay with our teacher...I totally bombed it; floundered the whole time. To make matters worse the rest of my district returned to the classroom from their lesson with Carola with mixed expressions of sadness and irritation. They told us "good luck" in the way that actually means "you're hosed" and sat down. So off we went. It was easily the best and most rewarding lesson we've had. We were able to slow things down and focus on the investigator, and the Spirit led the conversation so that rather than spouting out random facts and sentences, we were able to answer her questions, make her feel what she needed to feel all while teaching her the doctrine that we had planned. What I was sure would be a humiliating and discouraging experience turned into a humbling and encouraging experience as me and Elder Fritz focused on the investigator and allowed the Holy Ghost to direct us. In response to our invitation to be baptized she said she would pray to know if what we taught was true, and if she received an answer, she would accept our invitation. The Spirit is readily available to those who get over themselves, turn outward and rely on Heavenly Father.
 
Anyway...I've got a great district and a great companion. I'll admit, I'm not super into going to choir, or playing soccer, but those are basically my only complaints. If I was in any other district I probably wouldn't be able to survive the hours of study/class time that we have every day. Elder Fritz is from South Weber, Utah and the other three elders, Elder Green, Elder Bennett and Elder Recine are from American Fork and Boise. We're all pretty different but they're all solid dudes with solid testimonies. Also the other Elders aren't terribly athletic which makes me feel like I'm actually good at basketball. Anywho, off to play some soccer...yippee.
 
With love und begeisturung,
 
Elder Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment